Rumaysa's Blog

A Spiritual Journey...

Name:
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Rumi




Till man destroys "self" he is no true friend of God.


Once a man came and knocked at the door of his friend. His friend said, "who art thou. O faithful one?" He said, "'Tis I."

He answered, "There is no admittance. There is no room for the 'raw' at my well cooked feast. Naught but fire of separation and absence can cook the raw one and free him from hypocrisy! Since thy 'self' has not yet left thee, thou must be burned in fiery flames."

The poor man went away, and for one whole year journeyed burning with grief for his friend's absence. His heart burned till it was cooked; then he went again and drew near to the house of his friend. He knocked at the door in fear and trepidation
lest some careless word might fall from his lips.

His friend shouted, "Who is that at the door?"

He answered, "'Tis Thou who art at the door. O beloved!" The friend said, "Since 'tis I, let me come in, there is not room for two 'I's' in one house."

From Rumi's Mathnawi...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salamun Aleykum,

The root of the conversation above is this hadith belove according to Matnawi commentaries:

Jabir ibn Abdullah reports that he went to see the Prophet concerning a debt that his father left outstanding.
"I knocked at the door, and he said: 'Who is it?'
I said: 'It is I.'
He said: 'It is I. It is I.'
He sounded as though he disliked my reply."
(Related by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

With best Regards,
Muhammed Salih from Türkiye
http://www.blogcu.com/msaliheroglu

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home